Have a Tiguan but can’t open the gas door? The gas door not opening is a common problem faced in several vehicles. One of the common reasons behind the fuel door, not opening is the faulty release bale, which is responsible for opening the vehicle’s fuel door. Don’t worry learn what causes the Tiguan gas door won’t open and methods to fix this problem.
Why Is The Gas Door Of My Tiguan Got Stuck?
Be aware that has door is quite often operated by an electric motor, but in some years or dependent on the options of your vehicle, it is only operated by a cable. Typically, it is either the cable that seizes up or, an electric motor that is at the end of its life. Occasionally, it could be the gas door fuse that is faulty on your Tiguan.
What To Do If Tiguan Gas Door Won’t Open?
We are now going to show you one after the other the different solutions to each of the causes of a gas door stuck on Tiguan, all ready to give you an immediate solution to enable you to put fuel in your vehicle and above all, a definitive solution to no longer suffer this form of trouble.
1. Check The Gas Door Fuses
The first possible trigger of a stuck fuel door on your Volkswagen Tiguan is that the fuse for the door opening has failed. To solve this trouble, you need to get your vehicle manual, verify which fuse box the one you are interested in is in (dashboard or engine compartment) and once located, verify the state and maybe replace the fuse with a new one. If it is the fuel filler cap that is stuck on your Volkswagen Tiguan, do not think twice to have a look at our article content to help you fix your trouble.
2. Check The Fuel Door Control Cable
The second possible trigger of your fuel door trouble being stuck on Tiguan is that the fuel control cable is seized up. To resolve this trouble, you will have to try to use a flat screwdriver to pry the fuel door lock with a flat screwdriver for example simultaneously as you try to open the fuel door opener. Do not think twice to use WD40 type lubricant to lubricate the cable and avoid reproducing this problem.
3. Change The Fuel Door Opening Motor
Oftentimes, the trouble will result from the engine that controls the opening of the fuel door of your Tiguan. If the hatch is blocked, the engine may be burnt out, to change it, you will have to change the engine, to achieve this, you will have to access it from the inside of your trunk, by removing the lining of it.
4. Use The Emergency Opening Pull In The Trunk
Finally, the last way to unlock a gas door on Tiguan, you have to use the emergency opening rod in your trunk. To accomplish this, remove the trunk liner on the side of the fuel door and read your Volkswagen Tiguan owner’s manual for the exact location of the fuel door. All you have to do is activate it to unlock the fuel flap of your car.
How To Fix Tiguan Gas Door That Won’t Open?
Follow the below mentioned steps to fix the gas door issue:
- To replace the gas door actuator, you will need basic tools such as the ratchet, socket and screwdriver.
- With the help of the flat head screwdriver, pry open the gas door. Put the flat end of the screwdriver in the gap present between the body and the fuel door and then pry open the door.
- Once the gas door is open, there will be a screw present next to the latch of the fuel door. Open this screw with the help of a screwdriver.
- After opening the screw, there will be a thin rubber sheet behind the fuel tank inlet. You need to detach the rubber sheet near the inlet of the fuel tank.
- Once you detach the thin rubber sheet, you need to pull the sheet out. The rubber sheet and flap are connected. Hence once you pull the rubber sheet out, the flap will also come out.
- Open the vehicle’s trunk and remove the panel on the side of the fuel tank. The plastic panel will be held in place by using plastic screws. These screws can be removed with the help of a clip remover tool.
- Once the plastic clips on the panel are removed, you need to pull the plastic panel out. Behind the plastic panel, you will see a plug connected to the flap actuator. You need to remove this plug.
- Once you have removed the plug, you need to come towards the fuel inlet and remove the plug from the flap actuator. After the plug is removed, you need to pull the flap actuator out from its assembly.
- Get the new actuator and insert the cable through the hole present for the actuator plug. Now put the actuator plug grommet and then the actuator on the car body.
- While putting the actuator on the vehicle, make sure that the pin on the flap actuator faces outward.
- Make sure that the flap actuator is perfectly locked in place.
- Once the flap actuator is in place, you need to go to the vehicle’s trunk and then connect the switch with the wire present behind the side body panel.
- Once the plug is connected, you need to put the plastic cover back into its desired location. Put the cover back on the car body and lock it properly.
- After assembling the trunk side cover, it is now time for you to put the flap of the fuel back.
- For putting the fuel door back, you first need to put the drain tube through the hole present on the vehicle body. Once the drain tube is arranged, align the rubber sheet cutout with the inlet of the fuel tank.
- Once the rubber cut out is properly aligned with the fuel tank inlet, gently push it, and the doo flap will be again installed on the Tiguan.
- To check the flap placement, you need to check whether the pin on the actuator is properly visible. If the actuator pin isn’t visible, then you need to adjust the flap properly to make it visible.
- After putting the flap back, tighten the screw, you removed at the start of the process and the procedure to install the new actuator is now complete.
- Test the working of the new actuator.
How Much Does It Cost To Fix A Gas Door?
You might require around $74 to $94 for labour to fix a gas door. However, if there is a certain faulty part in the fuel door, then the part alone will cost you around $104.
The article explained how to fix if the Tiguan gas door won’t open. If you have any queries with the mentioned methods then please leave a comment below we will get back to you as soon as possible.